Saturday, August 6, 2011

So about those "Editorial Comments" ...

My mother always said having a lot of time on one's hands can be a dangerous thing. Something along those lines "was the devil's play thing," Too much time? Too much thinking? Too much something.

Having been raised by introverts and being an introvert, I tend towards "thinking" anyway. Which in and of itself isn't a bad thing. Or a good thing. It just is.

But what one thinks about? What one dwells on? Now THAT can be positive or negative. Being a Christian by choice, and quite unashamed of the fact, I have to ask myself, "What Would Jesus Do?" Now there's a loaded question ... literally and figuratively. Politics and marketing aside, it really is a biblical question. A veritable litus test.

So ... with all due respect, what WOULD Jesus do if chronically ill? Ok. Lemme get personal. What would Jesus do if He had ME??? No doubt, He would be thankful its no longer be called by its former misnomer, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

AND THERE IT IS!!! Without even trying I reached for the editorial comment! The reality is, who knows what Jesus thinks about the name of the above mentioned neurological disease. Really. But what would He do? Would His lessons be any different if He hadn't been ... what, broke and scorned?? Ignored? Humiliated? Unbelieved? Disrespected?

Whoa.

I've already admitted my editorial comments concern me and recognize they stem from my own discomfort with a situation. I don't hearing snide editorial comments from others ... so why do I tolerate it in myself? Yuck. Who knew this entry was going to be so cathartic? I need to eliminate editorial comments from my speech which means I need to eliminate editorial comments from my mind. Which means I have a whoooole lot of thinking to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment